Integrating older adults into society through the use of technology should be a generalized strategy, which is why more and more municipalities in the country provide training or classes in computing, use of the Internet and technological devices
It is recommended that older adults to be kept up to date and well informed, at the forefront of events that happen at national and international level, everything changes and it is advisable to adapt to changes with intelligence, otherwise increases the generational gap and social isolation .
What drives elders away from new technologies? Resistance to change, lack of interest in learning new concepts (since many do not consider it necessary), visual and cognitive deficits, lack of coordination with fingers, fear of failure or damage to expensive devices. In general, technology is seen as complex.
There are numberless advantages of using technology in the elderly, buit the most common are:
– Browse the internet and search for new information.
– Reading of books, articles and journals.
– Search for data and information.
Technology helps older adults to be more in touch with their friends and family.
– Get in touch with friends and family from a distance.
– Participate in social networks.
– Listen to music, watch movies, videos.
– Many older adults are users of blogs where they share their knowledge and experiences, have Facebook account and email.
– It’s an excellent mental exercise.
The technology is found in many parts: banks, supermarkets, public institutions, payment centers, among others. If the older adult does not learn to use it, it will need help from third parties to benefit from it, it reduces its autonomy and independence.
When learning new concepts, the connection between previously unconnected neurons is favored, which increases cognitive ability (memory, attention and concentration).
Any activity that challenges the brain, such as new technologies, are positive for the health of the older adult.
Programs for older adults:
Currently many programs are being developed for the elderly, as it is a niche with great potential for expansion.
– Cognitive rehabilitation or mental exercises.
– GPS for patients with cognitive impairment.
– Calendar of appointments, control of blood pressure, pulse and glucose.
– Emergency care.
– Monitor medication and physical activity, among others.
Mobile equipment adapted for the elderly is being developed (the touch screens are more friendly than the use of the mouse or buttons), with larger letters and brighter displays.
Mobile equipment adapted for the elderly is also being developed (the touch screens are more friendly than the use of the mouse or mouse), with larger letters and brighter displays.Knowledge must be learned little by little and it is necessary to practice daily so as not to forget this new information, with perseverance and motivation you can achieve good results.
Do not be discouraged if you do not understand something or if you forget something that was explained to you before, because over time you will lose your fear of these artifacts.
Role of the family
– Older adults should be encouraged and encouraged to learn new concepts.
– Do not ridicule the older adult if he does not understand some concept.
– Have patience and empathy when advising an older adult.
– Involve and include older adults in current conversations and events.
Older adults have been able to incorporate new knowledge throughout their lives, so do new technologies. It is only a question of time, interest and perseverance. Age is not a barrier.